Walden NURS6670 Week 2 Assignment Practicum Journal Safe Prescribing Latest
NURS6670 Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Role II
Week 2 Assignment 2
Journal: Safe Prescribing
probably no greater responsibility that the psychiatric mental health nurse
practitioner assumes than the responsibility of prescribing medications. While
someone can be harmed by psychotherapy, the level and intensity of the harm
generally does not come to the same level of harm that can occur from improper
prescribing. The PMHNP must understand his/her responsibility both at a state
and federal level when it comes to prescribing medications.
Practicum Journal Assignment, you will explore the legalities associated with
prescribing controlled substances, as well as what a DEA number is, how to
obtain one, and, most importantly, how to prescribe controlled substances in
• Analyze roles of the Drug
• Analyze PMHNP responsibilities when
issued a DEA number
• Analyze DEA number application
• Analyze state requirements for safe
prescribing and prescription monitoring
• Analyze PMHNP responsibilities for
safe prescribing and prescription monitoring
• Analyze Schedule II-V drug levels
in Week 2 and submitted in Week 4.
for this Practicum Journal:
• Review the Learning Resources.
• Describe the role of the Drug
Enforcement Administration (DEA) as it pertains to the PMHNP.
• Explain your responsibilities when
having a DEA number.
• Explain how you apply for a DEA
• Explain your state’s requirements
for a safe prescribing and prescription monitoring program. Explain your
responsibility as a PMHNP to follow these requirements.
• Provide an example of a drug you
may prescribe from each of the Schedule II-V drug levels.